Qualifying Benefits for Eco Scheme

working tax credit family

Working Tax Credits

Guide to Working Tax Credit in the UK


Working Tax Credit is a UK government benefit aimed at providing financial support to employed individuals who may need additional income to meet their living expenses. This guide will delve into the Eligibility criteria, application process, and payment details of Working Tax Credit, based on information from the official UK government website.

Key Features of Working Tax Credit

  1. Eligibility: You can only apply for Working Tax Credit if you already receive Child Tax Credit. The number of hours you work per week to qualify varies based on age, disability status, and whether you have children.

  2. Application Process: If you already receive Child Tax Credit, you can update your existing tax credit claim to apply for Working Tax Credit. If you don't, you can apply for Universal Credit instead.

  3. Payment and Duration: Payments are made directly into your bank or building society account weekly or every four weeks. The amount you receive depends on various factors, including your income and circumstances.

  4. Exceptions and Special Cases: You can still qualify for Working Tax Credit during periods of leave, such as maternity or paternity leave, and if you are between jobs.

  5. Income Limits: There's no set income limit; it depends on your circumstances. For example, the limit could be £18,000 for a couple without children or £13,100 for a single person without children.

Thought-Provoking Questions

  1. Universal Credit vs. Working Tax Credit: How does Working Tax Credit interact with Universal Credit, and what are the implications for individuals who might be eligible for both?

  2. Sustainability of Working Tax Credit: Is the Working Tax Credit a long-term solution for low-income workers, or should other forms of support exist?

  3. Eligibility Criteria: How effective are the current eligibility criteria in ensuring the benefit reaches those who truly need it?

For more information, you can visit the official UK government website.

Disclaimer: This guide is for informational purposes only. For official and personalised advice, please consult the relevant authorities.

Do you want to make your home more energy-efficient and save money on your energy bills?

You may be eligible for an ECO 4 Energy Efficiency Grant. The grants can help you cover the cost of various energy efficiency improvements.

Regulated Ofgem and all work carried out through Trustmark installers to guarantee the highest quality.  

To determine eligibility, simply complete our eligibility form.

It only takes a few minutes, and it could save you hundreds or even thousands of pounds.